Green finance options
The Commonwealth Government has made some recent changes you need to be aware of. The Green Loan Scheme will continue in terms of the home assessments but the loan component has been discontinued from March 22, 2010.
To be eligible for a home sustainability assessment you must meet the following criteria:
- Must be an Australian Citizen, permanent resident and/or an Australian registered charity
- Aged 18 years or over
- Be the owner, a trustee or renter listed on lease of dwelling
- Dwelling must be completed and occupied for at least 12 months (not necessarily by the applicant)
- To obtain a Green Loan you must have a valid home sustainability assessment report
- Have a taxable income below $250,000
- Satisfy the lending criteria of a participating Green Loans financial provider
- Green Loans must be for the actions recommended in the home sustainability assessment report for the dwelling, as provided by an accredited assessor
- Only one Green Loan can be provided per assessment report, but the loan can support many individual actions.
For a listing of local Hunter assessors visit http://climateaction.org.au/green-loans
Local Green Saver Loan
Local financial institution, Hunter United Credit Union, have launched their new Green Saver Loan. This loan will be offered to householders wanting to make improvements to their energy and water efficiency. For example, loans of up to $20,000 are available to purchase solar power systems, water tanks, insulation and other households improvements designed to achieve economic and environmental savings.
These loans will be offered at a significantly discounted rate and are repayable over 5 years. Providing affordable finance will help people in the Hunter overcome the upfront costs associated with energy and water efficiency improvements. To find out more about Hunter United and the new Green Saver Loan go to www.hunterunited.com.au
Visit http://www.environment.gov.au/greenloans/about/subsidy.html to find details about the Commonwealth Government changes.